The Civic Federation is a 501(c)(3) non-partisan, non-profit government research organization working to maximize the quality and cost-effectiveness of government services in the Chicago region and the State of Illinois. The Federation publishes reports and commentary about state and local government tax policies, government services and public expenditures. The Federation’s membership includes business and professional leaders from a wide range of Chicago-area companies and institutions. To learn more about the mission and work of the Civic Federation visit civicfed.org.
Position Title and Description: Development Associate
The Development Associate reports to the Director of Development and will work alongside communications staff and membership staff to advance the overall development strategy for the Federation. The primary duties for the Associate include: grant management, database management, researching prospective foundation partners and members; event and meeting support; and supporting the implementation of the Federation’s development work plan. The Associate will additionally provide administrative support as requested by the Director of Development.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional interpersonal communicator and writer who is highly organized, detail-oriented and is familiar with grant management and various fundraising strategies. Ability to take initiative and work independently and collaboratively and knowledge of Adobe, Canva and CRMs (Donor Perfect) are preferred. Knowledge of data analytics and CRM customization is advantageous.
- Support the coordination of long- and short-term fundraising efforts and development strategy, as outlined in the Federation’s development work plan
- Research foundation support opportunities
- Draft and submit foundation grant proposals, applications and reports
- Research candidates for new membership
- Prepare materials for prospective foundation and member meetings
- Provide database management support (enter new data, pull reports, etc.)
- Prepare development reports and materials for presentations and meetings (metrics on member engagement, demographics and new membership, multi-year member analysis, etc.)
- Work collaboratively with other staff on event and administrative projects as directed by the Director of Development
- Occasionally join President and Director of Development at new member recruitment meetings
- Infrequently work outside the standard 9-5 office hours for special circumstances (annual events, grant deadlines, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to understand and articulate the organization’s goals and needs within several months following date of hire
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems, meet tight deadlines, multi-task and manage resources effectively
- Ability to work independently, setting priorities and objectives with some supervision
- Must work amiably under pressure and exercise independent judgment and decision-making skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Teams) and Zoom
- Bachelor’s degree (or comparable experience) expected.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive hourly rate depending on experience and qualifications. Average weekly hours range between 20-25. This is a part-time, non-exempt position.
For eligible employees, the Federation provides a generous benefits package that includes:
- Paid time off: vacation, personal days, and medical (sick) days
- Commuter account
As a 501(c)(3), the Civic Federation is a qualified employer for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
Please submit a resume, cover letter and 2-3 recent writing samples (up to 5 pages per sample), including solicitation letters, memoranda, or materials for fundraising campaigns. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We fundamentally support and remain committed to seeking a diverse, equitable and inclusive staff and board of directors to serve the mission of the federation. All membership and employment decisions are made with this commitment in mind and we welcome everyone to our team.
The Civic Federation encourages BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ people, veterans, and any individuals with disabilities or any other legally protected status to apply. Please feel free to note your pronouns and/or any reasonable accommodation requests in your application or during the interview process.