The Civic Federation is a 501(c)(3) non-partisan, non-profit government research organization working to maximize the quality and cost-effectiveness of government services in the Chicago region and the State of Illinois. The Civic Federation publishes reports and commentary about state and local government tax policies, government services and public expenditures. The Federation’s membership includes business and professional leaders from a wide range of Chicago-area companies and institutions.
Position Title & Description: Communications Director
The Communications Director is responsible for developing and implementing the Civic Federation’s internal and external communications strategy. The Director oversees all media and public relations and creates content for the Federation’s outreach efforts. The Communications Director reports to the Vice President and Research Director, works closely with the President and manages the workflow of one full-time employee.
- Coordinate and implement the Civic Federation’s internal and external communications;
- Manage the release of Civic Federation reports and position statements, including drafting of all press releases;
- Ensure that the Federation’s research products reach key stakeholders via print, broadcast and social media;
- Produce, write and edit the Civic Federation’s Annual Report and monthly newsletters;
- Develop working knowledge of the research topics studied by the Civic Federation;
- Direct updates of the Civic Federation website and periodic upgrades;
- Proofread and edit all research products; and
- Assist in the planning and coordination of the Civic Federation’s major special events including oversight of speechwriting and video production.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills;
- Demonstrated organizational, communications and time management skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work well under deadlines, adapt to changing priorities and succeed in a fast-paced environment;
- At least three years of experience in communications and media relations and communications strategy, including social media strategy preferred;
- Graduate degree in journalism, communications, literature, public policy or political science preferred; and
- Demonstrated interest in government and public policy.
Salary and Compensation
Salary commensurate with experience, up to $80,000. Generous vacation and benefits package. This is a full-time position.
To apply, please submit the following documents via mail or email:
- Cover letter stating your qualifications and interest in the position;
- One long writing sample (approx.10 pages) and one short (2 to 3 pages) summary of an issue or document (e.g.: executive summary, abstract, memorandum); and
- Three references.
Address application to:
The Civic Federation values diversity and inclusion in its Board of Directors and staff. We believe diversity helps to improve the quality of our deliberations and positions regarding our governments and related tax and fiscal policies.
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We fundamentally support and remain committed to seeking a diverse team of professionals to serve the mission of the Civic Federation. All membership and employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law.