Founded in 1894, the Civic Federation is an independent, non-partisan government research organization that provides objective analysis and recommendations on government finance issues for the Chicago region and State of Illinois.
The Civic Federation is offering a one-year (July 2020–July 2021) internship opportunity to join our research and communications teams. The ideal candidate should be a strong writer and have an understanding of digital graphics and social media practices and have experience producing social media content in a professional environment.
- Assisting the Civic Federation Vice President with her duties as President of the Governmental Research Association (GRA), including:
- Managing content and overseeing maintenance of the GRA website;
- Producing content for the GRA’s social media feeds;
- Meeting preparation and note taking;
- Assisting with writing the monthly GRA newsletter; and
- Assisting in organizing the GRA’s annual conference.
- Supporting the Communications Director with the Civic Federation’s social media content, tracking media mentions and website metrics and other communications tasks as assigned;
- Monitoring and tracking local legislation by attending public meetings for various local governments;
- Preparing memos on local government public meetings for senior staff;
- Contributing to Civic Federation blog posts; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong interest in local government;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Experience working with social media and website upkeep in a professional environment;
- Strong time management and organizational skills;
- Must be punctual, reliable and professional;
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred;
- Available for 15 to 20 hours per week during business hours (days and times are flexible); and
- Willingness to learn and contribute to other projects and organization-wide efforts.
This is a paid, part-time, temporary and hourly internship without benefits. Compensation of up to $15/hour is available. Individuals must be authorized to work in the United States.
Interested candidates shall submit a cover letter, resume, three references and writing sample consisting of a short document (1-2 pages), written by the candidate, which summarizes a longer document or presentation. Documents should be emailed to:
10 N. Dearborn Street, Suite 800
Chicago, Illinois 60602
[email protected] (No phone calls please)
The Civic Federation values diversity and inclusion in its Board of Directors and staff. We believe diversity helps to improve the quality of our deliberations and positions regarding our governments and related tax and fiscal policies.
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We fundamentally support and remain committed to seeking a diverse team of professionals to serve the mission of the Civic Federation. All membership and employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law.