Founded in 1894, the Civic Federation is an independent, non-partisan government research organization that provides objective analysis and recommendations on government finance issues for the Chicago region and State of Illinois. To learn more about the mission and work of the Civic Federation visit www.civicfed.org.
The Civic Federation is offering a six month (June – December 2018) internship opportunity to join our Local Government Research Team. We are seeking a student currently pursuing a graduate-level degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Political Science, Finance or a related discipline.
- Monitoring and tracking local legislation by attending public meetings for various local governments and conducting some policy research;
- Preparing memos on local government public meetings for senior staff;
- Contributing to Civic Federation blog posts;
- Collecting and analyzing data on local government finances, as needed;
- Assisting with budget analysis; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong interest in local government;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Must be punctual, reliable and professional;
- Ability to quickly familiarize yourself with new information;
- Available for 15 to 20 hours per week during business hours (days and times are flexible)
- Willingness to learn and contribute to other projects and organization-wide efforts; and
- Business attire.
This is a paid, part-time, temporary and hourly internship without benefits. Compensation of up to $12/hour is available. Individuals must be authorized to work in the United States.
Interested candidates shall submit a cover letter, resume, three references and writing sample consisting of a short document (1-2 pages), written by the candidate, which summarizes a longer document or presentation. Documents should be emailed to:
Mark W. Patoska
10 N. Dearborn Street, Suite 800
Chicago, Illinois 60602
[email protected] (No phone calls please)
The Civic Federation values diversity and inclusion in its Board of Directors and staff. We believe diversity helps to improve the quality of our deliberations and positions regarding our governments and related tax and fiscal policies.
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We fundamentally support and remain committed to seeking a diverse team of professionals to serve the mission of the Civic Federation. All membership and employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law.