Job Opening: Institute for Illinois’ Fiscal Sustainability at the Civic Federation
The Institute for Illinois’ Fiscal Sustainability is the State of Illinois research arm of the non-partisan Civic Federation. The Institute’s mission is to improve the state’s decision making process by providing timely fiscal policy analysis and recommendations to State officials, the media, and the public through education and digital outreach.
Position Title: Senior Analyst — Debt / Infrastructure
The Senior Analyst — Debt / Infrastructure works with the Civic Federation research team to analyze the State of Illinois’ capital and infrastructure needs, budgeting, financing, and debt management. The Analyst drafts research reports, analyzes the State of Illinois budget, prepares position papers, and communicates findings to public officials and the media.
- Obtain and analyze data on the State’s capital needs, expenditures, and debt burden;
- Conduct both long-term and short-term research on capital needs, expenditures, and debt management;
- Prepare state tax revenue projections for annual State Budget Roadmap;
- Analyze the proposed and enacted State of Illinois budget;
- Track relevant policymaking and legislation at federal, state, and local levels;
- Write both in-depth reports and short plain-language summaries of findings;
- Educate the media, legislators, and legislative staff via conference calls, webinars, primers, op-eds, blog posts, and podcasts;
- Provide rapid response to inquiries on capital needs, expenditures, and debt burden to public officials and the media;
- Work collaboratively with other staff on research and media projects;
- Travel occasionally to Springfield, IL to collect data and track legislation.
- At least 5 years experience in government, nonprofit, or private sector (including journalism) focused on public sector capital expenditures or debt management;
- Understanding of state-level capital programming processes and financing;
- Ability to develop short and long term research reports for multiple stakeholder audiences;
- Excellent writing, public presentation, and communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced working environment;
- Prior experience communicating with the media is preferred;
- Strong background in public finance and capital budgeting is preferred;
- Master's degree preferred, but experience may be substituted for education qualifications.
Starting Salary: Commensurate with experience. Generous vacation and benefits.
- Please submit a writing sample that demonstrates the candidate’s ability to analyze data
- Please submit three references
The Civic Federation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Mail or e-mail cover letter, resume, writing sample, and references to:
The Civic Federation
10 N. Dearborn St., Suite 800
Chicago IL 60602
[email protected] (NO phone calls please)