The Civic Federation is an independent, non-partisan government research organization that provides analysis and recommendations on government finance issues for the Chicago region and State of Illinois. Founded in 1894, its membership includes business and professional leaders from a wide range of Chicago area corporations, professional services firms and institutions. To learn more about the mission and work of the Civic Federation visit www.civicfed.org.
Position Title & Description: Research Associate for Criminal Justice
The Research Associate for Criminal Justice will work individually and on teams on criminal justice related research. The Associate will also work on teams to analyze eight local government budgets, write long-term research reports on public finance issues, attend local government meetings and help communicate research findings to the media, elected officials and key stakeholders.
- Obtain and analyze financial data on state and local government spending on criminal justice and public safety;
- Obtain and analyze data on the criminal justice system and programs;
- Conduct both long-term and short-term research on public safety finance and management issues;
- Partner with other staff to analyze eight annual local government budgets and the Illinois budget and write other annual reports and blog posts; and
- Monitor and track policymaking and legislation pertaining to criminal justice issues by local governments and the State of Illinois.
- Graduate degree in public policy, public administration, political science, criminal justice, business, economics, law or equivalent related experience;
- Strong interest in government and public policy, particularly criminal justice issues;
- Superior writing and editing skills;
- Excellent critical analysis skills, organization and attention to detail;
- Proficiency with Excel;
- Must take initiative and be self-motivated and also work well in a collegial team environment; and
- Be committed to the Federation’s non-partisan mission to maximize the quality and cost-effectiveness of government services.
Salary and Compensation
Budgeted starting salary at $50,000 annually, depending on experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and benefits package. This is a full-time position.
To apply, please submit the following documents via mail or email:
- Cover letter stating your qualifications for the position;
- One long writing sample (20 to 40 pages);
- One short (2 to 3 pages) summary of an issue or document (e.g.: executive summary, abstract, memorandum); and
- Three references.
Address application to:
The Civic Federation
10 N. Dearborn Suite 800
Chicago, IL 60602
[email protected] (no phone calls please)
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We fundamentally support and remain committed to seeking a diverse team of professionals to serve the mission of the Civic Federation. All membership and employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law.