The Civic Federation is an independent, non-partisan government research organization that provides analysis and recommendations on government finance issues for the Chicago region and State of Illinois. Founded in 1894, its membership includes business and professional leaders from a wide range of Chicago area corporations, professional services firms and institutions.
Position Title & Description: Research Associate
The Research Associate will work in a team to compose three local budget analyses. The Associate will also write long-term research reports on public finance issues, attend local government meetings and communicate research findings to the media, elected officials and key stakeholders.
- Analyze local government budgetary and financial documents, including government revenue trends, appropriations data, personnel data and pension fund trends;
- Partner with other staff in composition of three annual local government budget analyses, other annual reports and blog posts;
- Act as lead researcher for non-recurring long-term research projects on a variety of government finance and management issues;
- Attend local government board and council meetings as needed, reporting findings back to staff; and
- Monitor local governments by tracking legislation and current events as they pertain to financial issues or other ongoing research projects.
- Graduate degree in public policy, journalism, public administration, political science, business, economics, law, English or related field;
- Strong interest in government and public policy;
- Superior writing skills, including summarizing, formatting and proofreading;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent critical analysis skills, especially of financial data;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software;
- State or local government experience preferred;
- Strong quantitative skills and statistical expertise preferred; and
- Must take initiative and be self-motivated.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and benefits package. This is a full-time position.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter stating your qualifications for the position, one long writing sample (20 to 40 pages), one short (2 to 3 pages) summary of an issue or document (e.g.: executive summary, abstract, memorandum), and three references.
[email protected] (no phone calls please)
The Civic Federation values diversity and inclusion in its Board of Directors and staff. We believe diversity helps to improve the quality of our deliberations and positions regarding our governments and related tax and fiscal policies.
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We fundamentally support and remain committed to seeking a diverse team of professionals to serve the mission of the Civic Federation. All membership and employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law.