Job Opening at the Civic Federation: Research Associate
The Civic Federation is an independent, non-partisan government research organization that provides analysis and recommendations on government finance issues for the Chicago region and State of Illinois. Founded in 1894, its membership includes business and professional leaders from a wide range of Chicago area corporations, professional services firms and institutions. To learn more about the mission and work of the Civic Federation visit www.civicfed.org.
Position Title & Description: Research Associate
The Research Associate will work individually and on teams on public employee pension and criminal justice related research. The Associate will also work on teams to analyze eight local budgets, write long-term research reports on public finance issues, attend local government meetings and communicate research findings to the media, elected officials and key stakeholders.
- Act as lead researcher on public employee pension and criminal justice issues;
- Analyze local government budgetary and financial documents, including government revenue trends, appropriations data, personnel data and pension fund trends;
- Partner with other staff to analyze eight annual local government budgets, and write other annual reports and blog posts;
- Attend local government board and council meetings as needed, reporting findings back to staff; and
- Monitor local governments by tracking legislation and current events pertaining to pension and criminal justice issues.
- Graduate degree in public policy, public administration, political science, criminal justice, business, economics, law, actuarial science, mathematics or equivalent related experience;
- Strong interest in government and public policy, particularly public employee pension and criminal justice issues;
- Superior writing skills, including summarizing, formatting and proofreading;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent critical analysis skills, especially of financial data;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software;
- State or local government experience preferred;
- Strong quantitative skills and statistical expertise preferred; and
- Must take initiative and be self-motivated.
Salary and Compensation
Budgeted starting salary at $50,000 annually, depending on experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and benefits package. This is a full-time position.
To apply, please submit the following documents via mail or email:
- Cover letter stating your qualifications for the position;
- One long writing sample (20 to 40 pages);
- One short (2 to 3 pages) summary of an issue or document (e.g.: executive summary, abstract, memorandum); and
- Three references.
Address application to:
The Civic Federation
10 N. Dearborn St. Suite 800
Chicago, IL 60602
[email protected] (no phone calls please)
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We fundamentally support and remain committed to seeking a diverse team of professionals to serve the mission of the Civic Federation. All membership and employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law.