The Civic Federation is a non-partisan, non-profit government research organization working to maximize the quality and cost-effectiveness of government services in the Chicago region and the State of Illinois. The Civic Federation publishes reports and analysis about state and local government tax policies and government services. The Federation’s membership includes business and professional leaders from a wide range of Chicago-area companies and institutions.
Position Title & Description: Executive Assistant
The Executive Assistant will report primarily to the President and also work closely with a number of Federation staff members to advance the organization’s goals and mission.
- Draft, edit and distribute letters, emails, announcements and other correspondence on behalf of the President;
- Proactively prioritize calls, meetings and tasks for the President;
- Assist in maintaining a busy, ever-changing calendar;
- Provide administrative support to the office;
- Act as a point of contact for Civic Federation board members, government officials and civic and business leaders;
- Maintain records and files;
- Answer and manage incoming calls, delivering timely messages to appropriate staff;
- Coordinate logistics for group meetings, which may require some early mornings approximately 3-5 times per month;
- Coordinate logistics and registration for conferences;
- Assist with the planning of events throughout the year;
- Maintain updated contact information and distribution lists in CRM database; and
- Other duties as requested.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with great attention to detail and ability to self-edit;
- Comfort with technology and simple tech-related troubleshooting;
- Prior experience providing support to an executive preferred but not required;
- Comfortable keeping the President on schedule and providing task-related prompts to President and other staff as applicable;
- Highly organized, entrepreneurial and proactive;
- Professional demeanor and experience interacting with executives and other VIPs;
- Integrity and ability to uphold a strict level of confidentiality;
- Ability to manage and prioritize a wide variety of tasks;
- Ability to work well independently and maintain a positive attitude under pressure;
- Critical thinking skills;
- Intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm to learn;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; and
- Prior experience a CRM database a plus.
Salary and Compensation
Competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday, with a generous vacation and benefits package.
Currently, Civic Federation staff alternate working in-office and remotely throughout the week in adherence with local, state and federal public health guidance. At the appropriate time, this role will transition back to a strictly in-office role.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, three references and 2-3 writing samples via mail or email (with subject line referencing the position) to:
The Civic Federation values diversity and inclusion in its Board of Directors and staff. We believe diversity helps to improve the quality of our deliberations and positions regarding our governments and related tax and fiscal policies.
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We fundamentally support and remain committed to seeking a diverse team of professionals to serve the mission of the Civic Federation. All membership and employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law.