Job Opening at the Civic Federation: Communications Specialist
The Civic Federation is a non-partisan, non-profit government research organization working to maximize the quality and cost-effectiveness of government services in the Chicago region and the State of Illinois. The Civic Federation publishes reports and commentary about state and local government tax policies, government services and public expenditures. The Federation’s membership includes business and professional leaders from a wide range of Chicago-area companies and institutions.
Position Title & Description: Communications Specialist
The Communications Specialist reports to the Civic Federation’s Communications Coordinator and will assist in the Federation’s outreach efforts. The ideal candidate should have an understanding of digital communications practices suited to a non-profit setting and experience with a variety of specialty software. In 2016, the Communications Specialist will need to work with contracted web developers to manage the transition of the Civic Federation’s website from Drupal 6 to Drupal 8.
- Manage content and oversee maintenance of the Civic Federation’s website;
- Contribute innovative ideas for site content and enhancements;
- Format, record and distribute Civic Federation media clips;
- Produce content for the Civic Federation’s twitter account;
- Analyze website metrics, media coverage and social media reach to compile analytics reports;
- Write and edit content for the website, grant reports, and other materials as assigned;
- Assist with constituent database management;
- Document events with photography and video;
- Assist with event production including preparing programs, visuals and technical needs; and
- Assist in the management of IT needs for all staff and coordinate the work of offsite IT support.
- At least one year of experience posting content via Drupal;
- Experience with HTML and basic website development and maintenance;
- Understanding of Google Analytics;
- Experience working with social media in a professional environment;
- Excellent writing and communications skills;
- Strong time management and organizational skills;
- An interest in government and public policy;
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred; and
- Ability to edit photo and video is a plus.
Starting Salary: $28,000 to $35,000 depending on experience. Generous vacation and benefits.
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter, three references and up to three examples of work that showcases any combination the following:
- Drupal-based website management;
- Professional social media management;
- Email marketing;
- Event photography; or
- A short writing sample that demonstrates the ability to summarize dense information.
Address application to:
Vice President and Research Director
The Civic Federation
10 N. Dearborn St. Suite 800
Chicago, IL 60602
[email protected] (no phone calls please)
Applications are due by 9 a.m. on Wednesday, November 25.
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer.