About the Civic Federation
The Civic Federation is an independent, non-partisan government research organization that provides analysis and recommendations on government finance issues for the Chicago region and State of Illinois. Founded in 1894, its membership includes business and professional leaders from a wide range of Chicago area corporations, professional services firms and institutions. To learn more about the mission and work of the Civic Federation visit www.civicfed.org.
Position Title & Description: Communications Specialist
The Communications Specialist reports to the Civic Federation’s Communications Director and will assist the Communications Director and Vice President/Research Director in ongoing initiatives including the Federation’s digital outreach efforts and the Policy Forum with the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. The ideal candidate should be a strong writer and have an interest in public policy along with an understanding of digital communications and social media practices. The Civic Federation offers many opportunities for growth, and this role in particular is a great fit for a strong communicator looking to break into the nonprofit sector.
- Manage content and oversee maintenance of the Civic Federation’s website;
- Format, record and distribute Civic Federation media clips;
- Produce content for the Civic Federation’s Twitter and LinkedIn accounts;
- Put together the weekly update for Board members;
- Analyze website metrics, media coverage and social media reach to compile analytics reports and optimize future outreach efforts;
- Write and edit content for the website, grant reports and other materials as requested;
- Assist with event production including preparing programs, visuals and technical needs;
- Serve as the staff liaison with offsite IT support;
- Provide general support for outreach to media, government officials and Civic Federation members; and
- Work with the Communications Director on a website update currently underway.
- Preparing memos on local government public meetings for senior staff;
- Contributing to Civic Federation blog posts; and
- Other duties as requested.
- Excellent writing and communications skills;
- Strong interest in government and public policy;
- Experience working with social media in a professional environment;
- Strong time management and organizational skills;
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred;
- Experience with basic website updates and maintenance preferred;
- Previous research experience is a plus; and
- Ability to edit photo and video is a plus, as are graphic design skills.
Starting Salary: $42,000 to $50,000 depending on experience. Very generous vacation and benefits
package that includes enrollment eligibility in Dental, Disability, Health and Life insurance, 401(k) matching and transit programs. As a 501(c)(3), the Civic Federation is a qualified employer for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This is a full-time position.
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and two to three references. Please also include up to three examples of work that showcase any combination the following:
- Writing samples that demonstrate the ability to summarize complex information;
- Professional social media management;
- Email marketing; or
- Website management.
Address application to:
10 North Dearborn Street, Suite 800
Chicago, Illinois 60602
[email protected] (no phone calls please)
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We fundamentally support and remain committed to seeking a diverse, equitable and inclusive staff and board of directors to serve the mission of the federation. All membership and employment decisions are made with this commitment in mind and we welcome everyone to our team.
The Civic Federation encourages BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ people, veterans, and any individuals with disabilities or any other legally protected status to apply. Please feel free to note your pronouns and/or any reasonable accommodation requests in your application or during the interview process.