The Civic Federation is a 501(c)(3) non-partisan, non-profit government research organization working to maximize the quality and cost-effectiveness of government services in the Chicago region and the State of Illinois. The Civic Federation publishes reports and commentary about state and local government tax policies, government services and public expenditures. The Federation’s membership includes business and professional leaders from a wide range of Chicago-area companies and institutions.
Position Title: Senior Research Associate
The Senior Research Associate will work individually and on teams to analyze the State of Illinois budget and public finance issues, write research reports and communicate findings to public officials and the media. The Senior Research Associate will additionally work to develop specialized knowledge in the Civic Federation’s areas of expertise within public finance.
- Analyze the proposed and enacted State of Illinois budget;
- Track relevant policymaking and legislation at federal, state, and local levels;
- Write both in-depth reports and short plain-language summaries of findings;
- Educate the media, legislators, and legislative staff via conference calls, primers and blog posts;
- Provide rapid response to inquiries on state finance issues to public officials and the media;
- Work collaboratively with other staff on research and media projects;
- Travel occasionally to Springfield, IL to collect data and track legislation.
- At least 5 years of experience in government, nonprofit or private sector (including journalism) focused on public finance and budget issues;
- Ability to develop short- and long-term research reports for multiple stakeholder audiences;
- Excellent writing, public presentation, and communication skills;
- Superior critical analysis skills, organization and attention to detail;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced working environment;
- Must take initiative and be self-motivated and also work well in a collegial team environment;
- Background in public finance and/or healthcare economics, particularly Medicaid, is preferred;
- Master's degree preferred, but experience may be substituted for educational qualifications.
Starting Salary: Commensurate with experience. Generous vacation and benefits.
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and three references. Please also include up to three examples of work that showcase the candidate’s ability to analyze data, write for specialists and non-specialists and synthesize complex information.
Address application to:
Vice President and Research Director
10 North Dearborn Street, Suite 800
Chicago, IL 60602
[email protected] (no phone calls please)
The Civic Federation values diversity and inclusion in its Board of Directors and staff. We believe diversity helps to improve the quality of our deliberations and positions regarding our governments and related tax and fiscal policies.
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We fundamentally support and remain committed to seeking a diverse team of professionals to serve the mission of the Civic Federation. All membership and employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law.